[Probit] Can I be confident in my results even with a poor Goodness-of-Fit test?

I am running a probit analysis on a data set with about 1000 cases, predicting probability of college graduation by a set of college institutional variables (funding, services, etc).

For several predictor variables, I am getting signficant coeffecients which have signs in the expected directions, but the Pearson's goodness-of-fit test for the model is significant at the .05 level (I am using SPSS).

It appears to be *very* significant, Chi-sq of 11,766.414/919 df, sig = .000

Apparently this means that the model is not performing well, because the expected cell frequencies differ greatly from the observed cell frequencies.

My question: How important is this goodness-of-fit test result? Does this mean that the model is invalid or basically useless (analogous to a low adjusted R-square in linear regression) or is the goodness-of-fit test merely advisable in probit?

Bottom Line: Can I confidently report my results, even with such a poor result on the goodness of fit test?

I have done quite a bit of web searching and searching in SPSS product help and can't find an answer. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks!

DavidBill

It's pretty much understood that when samples are large like yours that the fit statistic will always be significant. It's not usually a problem.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
It's pretty much understood that when samples are large like yours that the fit statistic will always be significant. It's not usually a problem.
This is true. However if the model isn't too complicated it's worth it to take some time to consider the assumptions you're making and to think if there is a better modeling solution.

Thanks much for the replies--they definitely ease my mind. I appreciate the suggestion of considering another modeling solution, but I'm not familiar with what alternative statistical models I might use in this situation. I have Googled quite a bit on this, and probit (or logit) are the only suggestions that have surfaced.

To restate: I have a percentage dependent variable, and a mix of categorical and continuous predictors. None of the predictors are percentage data.

If it might be possible to get a quick mention of a couple of other models that could be appropriate for this situation, that would be most appreciated.

DavidBill

PS: I grew up in Ames--nice to hear from (I assume) another IaStater.