Problem with results in ordinal regression...

Hello and thanks in advance for any response...
I have 60 likert-type questions (5 items) (and their responses of course...) and age. Age as raw data is continuous. On a duplicate file I have categorized age in 5 age groups (ordinal) as I want to test whether age can affect the adoption of digital tools in the learning process according to some specific groups (Gen X, Y, Millenials, etc). When I ran Spearman's rho for age as ordinal data and likert responses I got statistically significant results only for 3 combinations (of age and likert responses). However, when I ran the ordinal regression (age as continuous, likert as ordinal) it gave me 22, at least the p-value in the model fitting information was <.05 (unless I shouldn't have looked at this...). In addition, all 22 results have warning from the SPSS that 65% (more or less) cells (i.e., dependent variable levels by combinations of predictor variable values) are with zero frequencies. Should I take the results of the ordinal regression into account? Am I doing sth wrong? Should I just keep the Spearman's rho results? Thank you (and sorry for my english)

CB

Super Moderator
Can you explain more about what you're doing with the Likert data? I.e., are you looking at the correlation between age categories and each of the single Likert items?

Thank you for your response...
Yes, exactly... I need a correlation between age and each of the single likert items. Another thing is that I've got a lot of missing values that I don't know how to handle. The questionnaire is actually divided in 6 parts. Each part begins with an yes/no question; if the respondent answers yes, then he is 'eligible' to answer the rest of the questions of each part; if the answer is no, she/he has to overlook these questions and go to the next part; however, the questionnaire is poorly designed (it was given us from the faculty), as there are duplicate questions, poorly stated questions with no clear meaning, etc, and as a result, many respondents who answered no, kept on completing the rest of the questions, plus there are some incomplete from those who answered no and those who just didn't answer a question for their own reasons. I know that given the data, there is no much I can do, but there is an assignment I have to submit in any case...

CB

Super Moderator
Thank you for your response...
Yes, exactly... I need a correlation between age and each of the single likert items.
I'm sorry but that doesn't sound right. Each of sixty different items, really? That'll be a huge analysis with great risk of Type 1 error. Surely the items are intended to measure some defined construct, or set of constructs? Usually we could collate multiple items into a single scale.

Another thing is that I've got a lot of missing values that I don't know how to handle. The questionnaire is actually divided in 6 parts. Each part begins with an yes/no question; if the respondent answers yes, then he is 'eligible' to answer the rest of the questions of each part; if the answer is no, she/he has to overlook these questions and go to the next part; however, the questionnaire is poorly designed (it was given us from the faculty), as there are duplicate questions, poorly stated questions with no clear meaning, etc, and as a result, many respondents who answered no, kept on completing the rest of the questions, plus there are some incomplete from those who answered no and those who just didn't answer a question for their own reasons. I know that given the data, there is no much I can do, but there is an assignment I have to submit in any case...
Missing data is a complex topic - this book is a good reference. Aside from that you should probably talk to whoever designed the survey and find out what they intended to be done with the data given these design features.