Question

• In a work place 1% of the employees were injured during a year. 40% of the injured were women , while 30% of the employees were woman.
  • A) what is the probability that a randomly chosen employee woman was injured during the previous year?
  • B) Are the events injured and woman independent ?
solution :
P(injured) = 1% , p(Woman) = 30% , p(injured and woman) = 40%
A) P(WOMAN / INJURED) ?
is it ok ?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
For quite a while when I was first learning these concepts I found it most helpful to create a table and pretend we have a certain number of people. In this case I would make a 2x2 table and have one side represent male/female and the other represent injured/(not injured). It seems like pretending like there is a population of 1000 people would work well in this case so that's what I would do. From there use the information you know to figure out how many people belong in each cell.

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
I would echo @Dason suggestions. I use to do the same thing. Also, if it is not apparent this is a conditional probability question that could be addressed via Bayes rule.

For quite a while when I was first learning these concepts I found it most helpful to create a table and pretend we have a certain number of people. In this case I would make a 2x2 table and have one side represent male/female and the other represent injured/(not injured). It seems like pretending like there is a population of 1000 people would work well in this case so that's what I would do. From there use the information you know to figure out how many people belong in each cell.
why did u assume there are a 1000 people ?!

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Present the table and we will tell you how to use it. You would look at a column or row in the table to make it conditional, so this given that. With that being the column or row you selected.