Quick Graduate School Question

I have noticed that there is at least one post asking about undergrad courses that stat ms programs require but no clear answer was really given.

If possible I would be very appreciative if someone could just give a general course listing of what I should be sure to take before leaving undergrad if I want to do a ms in stats.

I ask this because I am math/econ and want to make sure I tailor my electives accordingly.

Thank you very much for your time. :D

Link

Ninja say what!?!
I think a really good start would be to look at the curriculum for undergraduate Stats majors. The upper classes are the ones you should take.

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Depends on the program you want to get into. They usually require that you have the core mathematical statistics and probability course, the kind at an upper division level that requires calculus and does mathematical proofs. Other programs, like UCD, only require that you take a brief course and cover the one year sequence as part of the masters: http://registrar.ucdavis.edu/UCDWebCatalog/programs/STA/STAcourses.html courses 131ABC are core master requirements with 130AB being a brief course of it.

Depending on the program, you may also require some applied stuff covering regression and anova models. I recommend any electives you can take, even if they're outside of your major (e.g., econometrics or psychology research courses that cover multivariate or logistic regressions). This isn't always the case, though.

It should go without saying that math helps. You'll usually need if not want a vector analysis course or something that does upper division undergraduate matrix algebra (in an applied/calculus sense). Taking courses in real analysis won't hurt, either. If you ever plan to go on in stats or even econ, real analysis ("the theory of calculus") will look good on your record.

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Along with what she said, I'd recommend just getting an idea of what programs/colleges you want to get into. Then look at those programs. You need to know what it is you want to get out of your program. Do you want to do applied work or have a theoretical basis? Do you want to do a different PhD program or teach or go into the workforce? Different schools have different focuses, and usually that is outlined in their programs, course requirements, and whatever special groups they might have (e.g., UCD has a biostats group and an applied math group in their math program, because they offer many courses that support biostatistics or applied mathematics, respectively). If I wanted to, say, study more theoretical (abstract) mathematics, then Berkeley would be much better as they offer many courses UCD just does not (e.g., Lie Groups, Mathematical Logic, and a ton of different algebras whereas UCD abstract maths focus on combinatorics, topology, and analysis--they have utility in applied fields even though they're abstract).

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
It's hard to say.

Note that I'm in a the PhD stats program at Iowa State and most of the people that entered the program that I know of really didn't have many stat courses. It's not unheard of to have 2-3 stat course (with those mainly being probability and/or a math/stat sequence).

But any upper level stats courses really can't hurt you.

For the MS its pretty much required to have the full calculus sequence i.e. differential calculus, integral calculus, and multivariable calculus (it's labeled differently at different schools). As well, a linear algebra course would be required.

After that it depends what program you want to get into as everyone else has mentioned, but I don't think any or many would admit one without the calculus sequence and linear algebra. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Some higher ranked or more theoretical programs require real analysis at the undergrad level as well. Either way real analysis is helpful.

Last edited:
This is a common question. I had my undergraduate degree in psychology (Hons B.A) and was interested in applying to an M.Sc in Biostats. Every school will be a bit different, but in my searches, this is what you should at least have:

-Calculus 1 and 2
-Linear Algebra 1
-Elementary Probability
-Mathematical Statistics / Statistical Inference
-Applied statistical courses (Regression Models, Data Analysis, introduction to a statistical software package)

I also took courses in Epidemiology and Categorical Data Analysis. I did so because I researched a head of time what the program I was applying to entails, cirriculm wise if you are admitted. I figured it wouldn't hurt to have some prior exposure to these areas I would be studying anyway. Maybe you can do the same with your program if it's that specific?

Best,