R information

noetsi

No cake for spunky
My unit has decided to learn R. None of them are primarily statistical analyst (they are SQL programmers/DBA). I suggested asking questions here. Any other sites they should go to for beginners (but awesome coders, they will learn very quickly).

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Here and doing internet searches should work. Reviewing StackedOverflow is always the best. But you know first hand that there is particular etiquette they go crazy for if posting on the site.

noetsi

No cake for spunky
Here and doing internet searches should work. Reviewing StackedOverflow is always the best. But you know first hand that there is particular etiquette they go crazy for if posting on the site.
Yes I think that the very specific question wording requirements of stackedoverflow would be less than ideal for them. It drives me crazy, but I might be desperate enough to reword my questions ( usually I just give up because I can't figure out the logic the board uses what is and is not a valid question). The group I talking about would probably just be annoyed. They are very very good/experienced coders. One is proto-dba.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I'm all for people posting R questions here. With that said the R community on SO is one of the nicer groups on the site. But yes there still is an expectation that the user has searched for an answer to their problem previously, that the question isn't a duplicate, and most importantly that they provide a minimal reproducible example (something noetsi still struggles with to this day).

I only point this out because I love both sites but recognize that they serve different functions.

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
To be literal, perhaps they don't serve different functions but required different inputs.

@noetsi is 'proto-dba' typo? If so, what for?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
No I think they do serve different functions. SO is intended to be a repository/database of good quality questions and answers. Once you realize that's the goal it becomes more clear why so many questions are marked as duplicates or off topic or whatever. Forums like this serve the function of still being a place you can ask questions but also a place where you can have a discussion. Discussions aren't really the point and aren't really allowed at SO.

noetsi

No cake for spunky
I'm all for people posting R questions here. With that said the R community on SO is one of the nicer groups on the site. But yes there still is an expectation that the user has searched for an answer to their problem previously, that the question isn't a duplicate, and most importantly that they provide a minimal reproducible example (something noetsi still struggles with to this day).

I only point this out because I love both sites but recognize that they serve different functions.
I am usually asking a total theoretical question with no actual problem or data :)

noetsi

No cake for spunky
So not to create a new wasteful question, we are moving this week to the 2019 SQL server. I have been told you can use R through that (and Python) which you could not in our old server. Has anyone actually done R in the 2019 SQL server and give some hints. No one here, including our IT unit, knows how to use this function. I already asked.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I haven't used 2019 but R was added in SQL server 2016 which is what we upgraded to a while back. So I I've used that. I assume it's basically the same.

Buckeye

So not to create a new wasteful question, we are moving this week to the 2019 SQL server. I have been told you can use R through that (and Python) which you could not in our old server. Has anyone actually done R in the 2019 SQL server and give some hints. No one here, including our IT unit, knows how to use this function. I already asked.
Using SQL in R is a challenge. This might be of help: https://db.rstudio.com/getting-started/database-queries/
dbplyr is pretty cool and it can copy over temporary tables pretty well. I think I connect to SQL using DBI and ODBC libraries.

noetsi

No cake for spunky
What I want to do is pull in data with the SQL server (using the TSQL we already use) and then use R to analyze it. One of the big issues is we may not be given the privilege's to import packages, we may have to ask IT do do this each time we need one. Which is doable, but a pain.