Ranking question analysis

I want to understand what is the best to analyze ranking data. We just completed a survey with 132 respondents. They were shown a list of 11 attributes and asked to pick the top 5. What method should be used to identify the top 3 attributes?

Is it okay to do a straight mean if the N is close enough? How do I determine if the N is close enough. For instance, if i do a straight meant, attribute A has a mean of 3.08 (N=114 out of 132) and attribute B has a mean of 2.96 (N=104 out of 132). In this case, since respondents were asked to rank 1 as highest rank, a lower would signify a higher rank.

Of the above 2 attributes, how do I decide which one is better?

gianmarco

TS Contributor
Hi,
What is the span of the ranking assigned by each respondent (from 1, the highest, to what value?

I hope to have well understood your question and the context of your issue.

May be you could:
- graphically visualize the ranking of the various attributes by using boxplos
- (if 1 is the highest rank) select the attributes with the lowest ranks
- use Kruskal-Wallis test to see if there is a significant difference between attributes as far as ranks are concerned.

Hope this helps.
Feedbacks from other users are welcome.

Gm

gianmarco

TS Contributor
Hi,
please, see the example in the attached .pdf.

I created a fictional example, with 10 respondents and 4 attributes (ranked from 1 to 10).

Boxplots and K-W test provided (analysis from SigmaPlot).

In this case, attribute 1 and 2 are the ones with the lower (highest, to keep with your terminology) rank. The difference in mean rank is not significant between 1 and 2, while both attribute 3 and 4 (that is, those with lower rank in your terminology) significantly differ from 1 and 2.

So, may be you could conclude that 1 and 2 are better than 3 and 4. Attribute 2 is slighly better than 1, but the difference is not significant.

(Please note that, in order to create an example, I did not paid attention to create samples meeting the assumption of K-W!!)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
gm
:wave: