Regression in excel - Is this possible?

Hi guys.

Okay for my regression project, I have all my data and my Y value is based on 7 variables (i.e. Y = b0 +b1x1 +...+ b7x7)

Now i have all that data in columns and 4/7 variables are binary or dummy variables (That can only take on 0 and 1 as values). I did my regression in Excel and came out with an estimated regression equation, r, R^2 etc..

Now my question is, is it possible for me to graph all my data in one graph? For example the X axis will have x1..x7 and all my data can fall under one graph?
It doesn't make sense to me since 4 variables are binary variables. So i would have some X's just taking on values of 1 and 0 while others would be taking on some really large numbers in the thousands.
I managed to get line fit plots in excel where the data is graphed against each variable separately.

Minitab's regressional modeling capabilities are nice, and can definitely do what you're asking -- they offer (or at least had offered once) a full student's trial.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Minitab's regressional modeling capabilities are nice, and can definitely do what you're asking -- they offer (or at least had offered once) a full student's trial.
Boo. If you're gonna use some good stats software and don't want to pay for it might as well make it R! Anywho, how exactly does minitab provide what they're asking for? With 3 continuous predictor variables you would at least need a four dimensional plot along with something like different shapes, colours, sizes, and maybe facets to get all 7 variables in the same graphic.

Note: Looks like ggplot has me spelling colours like that now...

Link

Ninja say what!?!
Actually, you CAN do linear regression in Excel. I've done it on occasion, though it's no where near as good as the Stat software. You might want to look into doing it in stat software instead.

Some sites on regression in excel:
http://phoenix.phys.clemson.edu/tutorials/excel/regression.html
http://www.cba.nau.edu/allen-d/Excel Regression Tutorial/excel_regression_tutorial.htm

Also, to graph an approx 8 dimension graph can't currently be done. Hans Rosling has gotten the furthest that I know of, getting up to 5 dimensions (I think) animated in a graph. You should look into them. It's pretty cool.

Last edited: