Should I use growth rate or actual figures for GDP and Population?

As the title is asking I have a project that needs to be done and i really need to know if using the GDP growth rate for Y and the Population growth rate for X is the correct choice. Im doing a regression analysis. Im currently doing actual figures which show a high rate of correlation (as population increases so does gdp). Please let me know which choice is correct. Thank you!

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Could you please tell us the study's topic and the research question(s),
which data you actually have, and how large your sample size is?

With kind regards

Karabiner

Last edited:
Thanks for the response! Im researching the relationship between population and economic growth in china. The sample size is 40 years i have access to any kind of data from the world bank, im trying to figure out if i should use gdp growth % and population growth % or gdp and population actual figures.

Karabiner

TS Contributor
That was not awfully informative for me, I'm afraid. "I am researching the relationship
between population and economic growth in china" is not a research question, it is just
a field of study. Maybe you just stick to what they do in the reference studies for your
work. Or, you perform two separate analyses, one with gdp and population, one with
growth %.

With kind regards

Karabiner

Issue is this is from an undergraduate statistics course project, its not an official research paper. Were limited to conducting regression models between an X and Y variable. The relationship between gdp and population is obviously linear as both increase each year, but in terms of growth it looks like theres no relationship. I guess ill stick with growth % since its a better indicator of progress?