Standard deviation

Hi, I'm trying to calculate the standard deviation of a dataset for my uni meta analysis from this formula. How would I go about calculating the inverse of phi Φ? Would I just substitute 1.618033 which is what the value of phi is according to google?
sd.PNG

Hi, I'm trying to calculate the standard deviation of a dataset for my uni meta analysis from this formula. How would I go about calculating the inverse of phi Φ? Would I just substitute 1.618033 which is what the value of phi is according to google?
View attachment 4083
Also b = minimum value of range
a = maximum value
n = number of participants

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Curious where you are getting this formula from. Can you provide a link, so we can see how it was presented. I am not imagining phi is a constant or irrational number you are supposed to input, I feel like it may be derived from your data.

hlsmith

perhaps feed bracket data into norminv distribution? But if you provided content info that would help.

hlsmith

?
Φ symbol represents the cumulative distribution function (CDF) of a standard normal distribution, Φ(z). In R, the CDF of the standard normal distribution is implemented in the pnorm function. But you may want the inverse. But I could be making stuff up here :)

?
Φ symbol represents the cumulative distribution function (CDF) of a standard normal distribution, Φ(z). In R, the CDF of the standard normal distribution is implemented in the pnorm function. But you may want the inverse. But I could be making stuff up here :)
In the article they're using R but I have no idea how to use this or where to begin.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
?
No you're right. The formula requires the inverse of the cdf of the standard normal.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
You would input what's in the parenthesis into the function. But pnorm is the cdf of the normal and we want the inverse of that. It sounds like you're using R so use qnorm instead.

You would input what's in the parenthesis into the function. But pnorm is the cdf of the normal and we want the inverse of that. It sounds like you're using R so use qnorm instead.
Okay so just to clarify I enter the values I get within the brackets into qnorm and multiply by 2 I'll get the denominator?