Statistical tests - help please!

HGHG

Hi all,

I am writing a project plan and I am struggling with the statistical analysis plan as I am in the early stages of learning. I was hoping someone could guide me with what stats tests I could conduct with the following primary endpoint - thank you.

Alternative hypothesis: treatment is superior to placebo in achieving a state of pain relief.
Primary endpoint: difference in time to initial meaningful pain relief comparing the treatment Vs placebo.

I am thinking of the following analysis: As time is continuous and I am are comparing between categorical data (treatment, placebo), then I need a t-test (or Mann-Whitney depending on what the distribution will look like). With a continuous outcome, I also need to look at linear regression modeling?

Thank you for your help - much appreciated.

Primary endpoint: difference in time to initial meaningful pain relief
A response variable like time will often have a skewed distribution. (And there is nothing "wrong" with that. Nature is what it is.)

So I would not be surprised if you would need to transform the time variable, like taking the square root or doing the log-transformation. (Also look at Box-Cox transformation.)

Or you could use a generalized linear model with a gamma distribution. (That would be like doing a t-test but instead of a normal distribution a gamma distribution is used. And a gamma distribution is a skewed distribution. Thus I would guess that it is realistic in this case.

A warning about Mann-Whitney: That is based on assumptions too. Mann-Whitney is sensitive to "spread". I would not be surprised if the mean time variable is different for treatment and placebo, but also that the the standard deviation might be different. And then the Mann-Whitney gives an increased error rate when the "spread" is not the same.

HGHG

A response variable like time will often have a skewed distribution. (And there is nothing "wrong" with that. Nature is what it is.)

So I would not be surprised if you would need to transform the time variable, like taking the square root or doing the log-transformation. (Also look at Box-Cox transformation.)

Or you could use a generalized linear model with a gamma distribution. (That would be like doing a t-test but instead of a normal distribution a gamma distribution is used. And a gamma distribution is a skewed distribution. Thus I would guess that it is realistic in this case.

A warning about Mann-Whitney: That is based on assumptions too. Mann-Whitney is sensitive to "spread". I would not be surprised if the mean time variable is different for treatment and placebo, but also that the the standard deviation might be different. And then the Mann-Whitney gives an increased error rate when the "spread" is not the same.

Thank you for your response - this is very helpful.

Would it be best to suggest linear regression modeling and then further details/choice of tests can be made once the data is available?

Thank you very much.

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Will "initial meaningful pain relief" be achieved by each subject? No premature
termination of study participation, for example?
If not, Cox regression or even Kaplan-Meier survival analysis might be useful.

With kind regards

Karabiner

HGHG

Will "initial meaningful pain relief" be achieved by each subject? No premature
termination of study participation, for example?
If not, Cox regression or even Kaplan-Meier survival analysis might be useful.

With kind regards

Karabiner
So, the subjects may not complete the treatment/placebo intervention and so, they will be instructed to take rescue medication. In this case, I should take into account what you have suggested?

Thank you,

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Well, I do not know anything about topic, research questions, allocation to groups,
recruitment, treatment, measurements, sample size of your study. Therefore I cannot
answer this, I'm afraid.

With kind regards

Karabiner