Temporary Select if ... gives an error. Who can help?

Hi!
I made an analysis, but want to compare two analyses to see which one fits data best (and measure it on the same number of participants, when I delete the variables in my analysis, the number of patients is coming up so it's not comparable then.
My tutor send me a SPSS command I need to use, but I tried for over a hour and I still get warnings...

Temporary.
SELECT IF Variable1~=. AND Variable2~-=.

Does anyone know what I do wrong? I use SPSS for 2 weeks now so everything is new to me and I hope I explained right.

Thank you in advance!

Karabiner

TS Contributor
(and measure it on the same number of participants, when I delete the variables in my analysis, the number of patients is coming up so it's not comparable then.
Admittedly, I do not understand what you mean. But maybe it is of no relevance of
the problem you want to solve here?
I still get warnings...
Maybe you should share with us what exactly these warnings are saying.
My tutor send me a SPSS command
A tutor is someone whose task is to help you. Can't you ask him what is wrong with his syntax?
SELECT IF Variable1~=. AND Variable2~-=.
Seems as if you need to enter a value where now is a point.

With kind regards

Karabiner

Thank you for your reply.
I´m asking my tutor tomorrow, but in the mean time I tried to get a little further because my deadline is in two weeks.

The warning I get is:
>Error # 4007 in column 16. Text: .
>The expression is incomplete. Check for missing operands, invalid operators,
>unmatched parentheses or excessive string length.
>Execution of this command stops.

So I assume there is something missing, but I don't know what.
I need to temporary delete these two variables without changing the number of participants/missings.

Well anyway, maybe I just have to wait until tomorrow.