Three Strikes Laws

In a casual conversation, someone suggested to me that so-called "Three Strikes Laws" have a statistical basis. Is anyone aware of any research that supports this? It seems a bit of a coincidence that baseball would provide a good model for criminal justice.

John

Link

Ninja say what!?!
What I think the person might have been referring to is that people who break the law three times tend to be lifelong criminals with some degree of certainty. Therefore, a law was passed to keep them locked up, and it just came to be known as the three strikes law.

I'm sure you'll be able to find studies on this if you're willing to look.

Outlier

TS Contributor
"There is some evidence that criminals on their last strike are more desperate to escape from police and therefore more likely to attack police.[6][7] "

The problem with looking at this issue is that not all jurisdictions define a "strike" the same way. A crime that counts in one state may not count in another. Changes in the law within a jurisdiction may make some crimes a strike if committed after a specific date but not if committed before that date. Any study looking at the issue would need to figure out a way to control for these variables.