Two effects, but not enough samples - what statistics can I do?

Dear all,

I made measurements of oxygen consumption (VO2) during steady state running with 3 different shoes. The runs were performed in 5 series of 3 runs, where each of the 3 successive runs was performed with different shoes. From the results of VO2 it is seen that the place of the runs within a series has an important impact. Can I do any statistics if I have at least one sample of each combination (each shoe was used at least once in the first run of a series, in the second and the third run of a series)?
So I have two effects (shoe and place of the run), but for each combination of effects there is 1 to 3 samples.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you very much.

Jurij

katxt

If you had done six runs, you could have made sure that each shoe was used twice in each run place - a nice balanced experiment.
However, with your data, if I interpret your description right, most stats programs will do a two way anova on unbalanced data. If that fails you can do a General Linear Model which will sort all this out as well as it can be done.

The primary goal was to execute 6 series of three runs (to have an balanced experiment), but unfortunately some results got lost. Ok, thank you for your answer. I'll try two way ANOVA. Regards,

JH