Useful R packages

noetsi

No cake for spunky
Everyone knows that I am learning R finally. :p I was curious what are some good R modules for beginner's. Simple regression is likely to be as complex as I will use. Graphical packages (for someone who will never be a master programmer) or things that interact with SQL would also be nice.

Buckeye

I use dplyr as a way to manipulate/wrangle my data. In my opinion, it's one of the main advantages R has over SAS.
From my experience, dbplyr interacts well with SQL. One thing I use it for is to write temporary tables to SQL using dbplyr::copy_to()
Once the data is copied over as a temp table, I write more traditional SQL queries. As mentioned in one of your earlier posts, DBI and odbc packages help me connect to the databases.
https://dplyr.tidyverse.org/
https://dbplyr.tidyverse.org/
https://dbi.r-dbi.org/

Last edited:

noetsi

No cake for spunky
thank you. We have limited permissions to the microsoft server where our SQL is housed. But maybe we will be able to use this.

Buckeye

Sounds good. I also have limited permissions to certain data sources. I am not allowed to write data to the cloud (like Snowflake for example) without asking. But, a basic YouTube tutorial on SQL in R should give you an idea about how to use the packages. Any data person needs a way to access the data they are analyzing. At the very least, you should be able to read data into your R environment.

Last edited:

noetsi

No cake for spunky
The irony is I have pretty much total permissions in SAS including building permanent tables that are housed on our server (but not the SQl server). That is why I do some long term projects in SAS using Proc SQL. Because I can build permanent tables there and views which I can not on the SQL server. You can use a bulk insert in the sql server, but I find that really inefficient.

I can read data into R, I use this to run my budget projections for example, using excel tables. I am hoping that since we just bought the Azure server and MS 2016 server I can use those to combine R with results from the MS server directly. But they have not been willing to even activate the Azure Server where R is housed so far.

Data analysis has a very low priority in my organization. I mainly just do SQL queries and Dashboards rather than statistics. Its a major reason I am retiring. :)

Everyone knows that I am learning R finally. :p I was curious what are some good R modules for beginner's. Simple regression is likely to be as complex as I will use. Graphical packages (for someone who will never be a master programmer) or things that interact with SQL would also be nice.
The following R packages might be of use

1. Foreign package for importing other data sets such as SPSS, SAS
2.tidyverse - Data Manupulation
3. e1071 - Statistical functions
4. ggplot2 - Graphs
5. sqlF - SQL functions
6. RMySQL - MySQL database related package

Editor IJSMI
www.ijsmi.com/book.php