Using iterative functions in R...help!

Hello everyone,

I'm extremely new to using R and have been battling to process some data using an iterative function. I just wondered if anyone might be able to give me a hand with it.

To try to make things clearer (and because I don't know how to explain it any other way) I have a set of data which looks a little like this:

NAME VALUE
Tom 4
Tom 16
Tom 2
Tom 10
Tom 12
Tom 3
Tom 4
Jill 10
Jill 20
Jill 16
Jill 1
Jill 13
Jill 2

For each "person" I am trying to calculate a baseline value produced by taking the mean of their data set +/- 1.5 standard deviations, removing any values outside this range from thier data set, and repeating the process until no values fall outside this range. The final mean will become my baseline.

I have been playing with all kinds of "while" and "if" functions but so far I don't feel like I'm even close. Any advice or links to good easily to follow resources would be very much appreciated. :D

Adam

Please provide an sample output that you would like to see. I am not sure what you are trying to is feasible or not..specifically what you mean by "repeating the process until no values fall outside this range"

trinker

ggplot2orBust
Also when you're posting code, dataframes or computer output it's helpful to wrap this information in code tags by:
  1. either clicking the pound (#) sign icon or
  2. wrap with [NOPARSE]
    Code:
    some code
    [/NOPARSE]

which produces:
Code:
some code
For more see this (LINK)

Hi chatan.apa and tinker,

Thanks for your replies and apologies for the lack of clarity. I think it'll be easier to explain if I calculate one result manually...

So for Tom I would first take the mean +/- 1.5 SD of 4, 16, 2, 10, 12, 3, 4 = 7.28571 +/- 8.0645 = -0.779 to 15.350

I then remove numbers which fall outside this range i.e. 16.

I then recalculate my mean +/- 1.5 SD with the new data set 4, 2, 10, 12, 3, 4 = 5.8333 +/-6.179 = -0.346 to 12.012

At this point none of my new data set falls outside this range (if it did then I would keep repeating the above steps) and so my output for Tom is the mean of the last data set i.e. 5.8333.

I hope that makes things clearer and apologies again for being a complete beginner at this!

Hi chatan.apa and tinker,

Thanks for your replies and apologies for the lack of clarity. I think it'll be easier to explain if I calculate one result manually...

So for Tom I would first take the mean +/- 1.5 SD of 4, 16, 2, 10, 12, 3, 4 = 7.28571 +/- 8.0645 = -0.779 to 15.350

I then remove numbers which fall outside this range i.e. 16.

I then recalculate my mean +/- 1.5 SD with the new data set 4, 2, 10, 12, 3, 4 = 5.8333 +/-6.179 = -0.346 to 12.012

At this point none of my new data set falls outside this range (if it did then I would keep repeating the above steps) and so my output for Tom is the mean of the last data set i.e. 5.8333.

I hope that makes things clearer and apologies again for being a complete beginner at this!
Here you go!!

Code:
a<-read.csv("C:/chetan/R/ex1.csv",header=T)

myFun <- function(x)
{
  chk<-TRUE
  while(chk)
  {
    avg<-mean(x)
    stddev<-sd(x)
    lowlimit<-avg - 1.5*stddev
    uplimit<-avg + 1.5*stddev
    c<-x[x > lowlimit & x < uplimit]
    if (length(c)==length(x)) 
    {
      chk<-FALSE
    }
    x<-c
  }
  return(mean(x)) 
}

tapply(a$VALUE,a$NAME,myFun)
Output:
Code:
     Jill       Tom 
10.333333  5.833333
This took a lot of effort and time! I am also a beginner in R:)

Chatan.apa THANK YOU SO MUCH!

You have no idea how long I struggled with this. Thank you so much for all your time and effort...you're obviously a lot less beginner at it than me! :)