Very Small Sample Size -What multivariate analysis should be used

Gibi

Dear all,

Good day!

I'm having a hard time researching for possible multivariate analysis to be used in my study. I have less than 10 sample for the study which is already the whole population. I tried to expand by including other cities in my study, yet they immaterially affected the sample size. The problem is I want to do a correlational analysis by finding the relationship of my 15 independent variables (categorized into 3) to my 1 dependent variable. Could I possibly use multiple regression or other type of regression?

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Could you tell us a bit more about your study?
Topic, research questions? If you really have
n < 10 then you probably cannot do much more
than to perform 15 (or 3?) bivariate analyses
of the relationship between single IVs and the
AV.

Kind regards

K.

Gibi

My study centers on the "factors affecting the profitability of small-scale funeral homes in our city". The major constraint is that only few small scale funeral homes exist in our city. I can't see expansion of scope as an alternative way to increase the sample size since it will make my study costly while the effect on the sample size is immaterial (that is to say only 1 or 2 respondent-firm would likely add to the sample size).

I have one dependent variable which is Return on Equity and 15 independent variables clustered as follow:

Factors Related to Organizational Resources
o Current Ratio
o Ratio of Fixed Assets to Total Assets
o Debt-to-Asset Ratio
o Level of Expenses
o Average Price of Funeral Service
Factors Related to Operations
o Efficiency
o Effectiveness
o Productivity
o Number of tie-up Agreements with Life insurance Plans and others
Factors Related to Policy
o Inventory Turnover in days
o Average Collection Period
o Average Payment Period

My goal is to know which of the following IVs significantly affect my DV.

Thanks for entertaining my question. God Bless you all!

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
The prior post is probably your only option. Conduct descriptive statistics and some bivariate statistics. With the sample size you reported, the data could not support multivariate procedures.

Gibi

Hi Sir!

Thanks for your advice!

Can I independently regress each of the IVs to my DV to get whether they are significant or not, as well as to know the extent (coefficient) each IV impact my DV? Say for example, regress Current Ratio (IV) with ROE (DV), get the estimated equation, thenafter, another regression for other IVs.

Thank you very much! Sorry I'm really terrible when it comes to statistics but I can handle analysis very well.

Karabiner

TS Contributor
For a sample as small as yours, I would rather recommend using the
Spearman rank correlation coefficient. You can test that coefficient
for significance.

The problem is that you want to perform 15 tests. In that case
ususally a correction for multiple testing is made, e.g. set the
level for a "significant" effect from p < 5% to p < 1%.

Kind regards

K.

The prior post is probably your only option. Conduct descriptive statistics and some bivariate statistics. With the sample size you reported, the data could not support multivariate procedures.
Hello i have the same problem with my study, could i use multivariate analysis in my study . I have 5 sample for the study which is already the whole population? if not what i should use as an alternative way in order to examine the relation betwen the IV and DV?

Ps: my study is about the impact of corporate governance on firm performance
i have 6 IV and 1 DV

Thanks for ur help in advance