Violating Homogeneity

Hi,
if in regression models homogeneity is violated, the variance can in principle depend on both: Predictor and outcome variable(s).

In case of a dependency on categorical or continuous predictor variables, there are many ways to model different dependencies, e.g. using GLS models.

In contrast, regarding a dependency of the variance on the outcome, I only know Poisson regression where the variance equals the expected value and thus increases with the outcome. But if I have another dependency of the outcome (e.g. variance = outcome^2), does somebody know ways to model this?

Thanks

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
So you have count data? Sounds like overdispersion. There is quite a bit of literature on it. I believe the negative binomial model is an option.

I don't have a special problem in mind, and you are right, in case of count data one could use quasi-Poisson or negative binomial models, or indtruducing an observation level random factor. But in all of these cases (including a regular Poisson model) you model in principle the same: A linear increase of the variance with the outcome. But now I am wondering if
1.) qualitative other relationships between variance and outcome (nonlinear dependency of variance on the outcomes or a variance decreasing with the outcome) make sense / appear in real world problems, and
2.) how to model this

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
This sucks, but an option is to trim your data. So just use those data with homogenuous errors. Though, I am not overly experienced with count base regression models

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
This sucks, but an option is to trim your data. So just use those data with homogenuous errors. Though, I am not overly experienced with count base regression models
Doesn't seem like a great approach. You can specify in a model that your variance is increasing in some fashion. It's not quite as nice as just doing a vanilla linear model but it's definitely possible.