Which comparative stats test to use?

Hi there,

I have had members of staff from two different departments complete surveys on their opinions of waiting times:

Example question:
Do you think waiting times have: increased, decreased, stayed the same.

Department A: 30% staff felt waiting times had decreased.
Department B: 50% staff felt waiting times had decreased.

I want to compare the opinions of department A to department B. My confidence intervals overlap so I thought I could do a t-test to prove that there is a statistical difference between the data sets. Would this be a suitable test to do? If yes, what type of t-test?

Or would a Chi-squared test be more appropriate? As my data is categorial e.g. agree or disagree and my quantative values are proportions of each category.

Last edited: