Which is Your Favorite Free Statistical Analysis Software?

Hello everyone, my friends and I were looking online for free statistical analysis softwares for Windows 10 and found this article. Have any of you tried any of these? What is your first pick?

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
What field are you in and what type of procedures do you plan to use? That may influence recommendations.

fed2

as a life long cheeseparer i can confidently say that the intersecetion between cheap/free and worthwhile is not big. I am reminded of this when i survey the three brokedown 'budget lawn-mowers' in my shed. As Cormack Mccarthy put it "the worth of any game is not inherent in the game itself, but the value of that which is put at hazard." Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

R is as good as it gets on the free lunch side. PSPP is cool though, for the name alone.

hlsmith

@fed2 in the aughts I read all of McCarthy's works after loving "The Road". Nothing is of limits in his books. Was Blood Meridian the one where they were on a hill top urinating and weighting for it to dry in order to make a bomb or gun powder while their adversaries were approaching?

Currently reading "The Power of the Dog".

hlsmith

@EnochKuhlman - as I was trying to solicit some context from you, I use SAS 50%, R 45%, and Python 5%. SAS is structured and secure, R open source and relative for the medical research I conduct. Python I have dipped into for higher level machine learning (e.g., long short-term memory recurrent neural networks).

gianmarco

TS Contributor
My 2 cents:

PAST is used in different research fields and is tailored particularly for palaeontology. Lots of modules; very good graph facilities. Used by scientists world-wide. Worth keeping on your computer.

JAMOVI: an free and open source alternative to the more cumbersome SPSS. Modules can be added to expand its functionalities; not so many currently available. Output tables in APA style (which can prove handy); charts and plots' quality depends on the module used. It builds (under the hood) on R, which is good. I like the integration with R (which can be executed from within Jamovi). I use JAMOVI for two study units I am currently lecturing. Not bad. I hope that the list of modules will grow in the near future. Can be used as a "bridge" to R.

I would add Orange: lot of modules here as well, including text mining. I like the fact that the analytical steps are build via widgets. Can be handy and fun for teaching. I do not really like the way data have to be fed into the program. For the rest, I think it is another software worth installing.

R of course (otherwise @Dason will start complaining): steep learning curve, but its functionalities and potential are unbounded.

Best
Gm

EDIT
JMP I really like this; its concept is different from other software as it rests on the idea of data exploration. Lots of graphical and analytical options are "hidden" into sub-menus; this allows to digg really deeper into data. I would suggest this to people who are already more than familiar with stats.

Last edited:

Buckeye

Anybody ever try JMP? I had it installed as a part of teaching undergrad students. I think it may be owned by SAS (not free, of course). I remember it having really nice features for experimental designs. And point and click things.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Yes. I actually like JMP more than any other gui system I tried. We taught the two intro business stats courses using it. Was good enough for regression and anything simple. I actually really liked it for time series too - was pretty powerful and had some really nice multilevel time series modeling capabilities.

fed2

Was Blood Meridian the one where they were on a hill top urinating and weighting for it to dry in order to make a bomb or gun powder while their adversaries were approaching?
yes i think so. is 'the power of the dog' same as the netflix movie? i did watch that.

i don't think blood meridian was made into a movie. the over the top violence is alot different when in a movie form, in the books it sort of fades into the background more.